Monday, February 28, 2011

Period Movies- You Love Them Too?

Today, the day after the reign of Colin Firth at the Oscars began, I searched the phrase "I love British movies" on Twitter. Needless to say, there were a great abundance of such comments, and most of them were about period movies, many directly about The King's Speech. Yummy period movies: which is your favorite?

I recently talked about one of my favorites on Teresa Bohannon's blog, where the question was asked about our favorite romantic movies. I brought up that I love Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance with Linda Ronstadt, Kevin Kline and Rex Smith. Everything from the music to the costumes and dancing was amazing! Linda and Rex have fantastic voices and Tony Azito was incredible as the leader of the crazy dancing of the bobbies. I don't mean to downplay everyone else; they were great, too.

My kids liked the movie so much while they were growing up that they watched it so often that they knew every part backward and forward, including every pause. When my daughter met her future husband, it turned out that he, too, had grown up memorizing the movie. As a surprise for them, we put together the play, getting the sets and costumes ready and having their friends learn their roles by watching it, learning to lip sinc the songs to the soundtrack, and then we put on the play with my daughter and her fiance in the leading roles! They had a little time to practice before the big day, and we wound up doing the show twice, instead of once, by popular demand. It was the greatest fun we've had in a long time!

So, your favorite period movie is.... ?

No comments: